Eye Surgeons of Indiana provides the latest in premium technology to serve all of our patients’ vision correction needs with the best possible outcomes.
We offer the next generation in advanced vision correction with the Visian ICL (implantable collamer lens).
With a 20-year legacy of success, more than 1,000,000 Visian ICLs have been implanted in patients worldwide. The Visian ICL is a microscopically thin, soft lens implanted in the eye to permanently correct moderate or severe nearsightedness and astigmatism.
In fact, based upon the clinical trials 99% of patient were satisfied with their new found Visian ICL vision.
The Visian ICL is made of an advanced soft-material composed of 100% biocompatible collagen copolymer. It provides UV protection and permanent vision correction, while giving patients a quality of vision that is sharper, clearer than many can achieve with glasses or contacts.
Additionally, unlike LASIK, the Visian ICL is removable, if necessary, and the procedure does not permanently alter the shape of your cornea.
What is Visian ICL?
The Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) is an advanced soft-material lens composed of 100% biocompatible collagen copolymer. It provides UV protection and permanent vision correction, while giving patients a quality of vision that is sharper and clearer than many can achieve with glasses or contacts.
It is an additive technology, unlike LASIK that permanently alters the shape of your cornea. There is no maintenance associated with the lens, and it is intended to remain in place as long as you are satisfied with your vision. If at any point your vision changes or you wish to have them removed, it can be done easily and without compromising your current vision whatsoever.
What are the advantages of Visian ICL?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45, and suffer from a moderate to severe degree of nearsightedness with or without astigmatism, then you may be a candidate for this great procedure and the advantages it provides.
• Legacy of Success: The Visian ICL has been approved in Europe since 1997 and in the U.S. since 2005. In that time, over 1,000,000 eyes have been implanted with Visian ICLs by certified surgeons, like Dr. Foote. In a clinical trial, patients reported a 99% satisfaction rate.
• In Harmony with your Natural Eyes: The Visian ICL procedure can be described as additive vision correction. Unlike other procedures, the Visian ICL procedure does not remove corneal tissue, but works in harmony with your natural eye.
• Flexibility for the Future: Visian ICL patients can correct their vision with peace of mind. In the event of a major prescription change or the availability of new vision correction options, Visian ICL is completely removable to keep pace the patient’s changing needs.
• A Quick Procedure and Recovery: The Visian ICL insertion method is minimally invasive. With only a small incision, we can optimize the procedure and recovery time dramatically. Additionally, the procedure is also painless because of the numbing medication. Patients can expect a short recovery time. The procedure is around 15 minutes or less and most people are able to resume daily activities in just a few days with clearer vision.
• Protection from UV Rays: The Visian ICL creates a barrier of UV protection. The Collamer material that makes up our Visian ICLs has unique properties to provide UV protection while correcting vision.
• Simplification of Life: There is no daily hassle of glasses of contact lenses with the Visian ICL. Patients are able to enjoy the things they love with Visual Freedom.
• Not A Candidate for Laser Vision Correction: Patients who have corneas too thin or prescriptions too high for LASIK can still live a life glasses free thanks to this procedure.
How is the Procedure Performed?
The Visian ICL procedure is an outpatient procedure that generally takes around 15 minutes. Prior to the procedure you will receive topical anesthesia drops to minimize discomfort. Then Dr. Lombardo creates a micro opening to insert the lens into the eye with an injector. Once the lens is injected, it unfolds in the eye and the procedure is complete. The micro opening self-seals without the needs for sutures. Patients experience an immediate improvement in vision and are “wowed” by the results.
Who is a Candidate for Visian ICL?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and nearsighted, you may be an excellent candidate for the Visian ICL. This procedure is able to treat a range of patients from low to extremely high refractive errors and is especially beneficially to those with thin corneas and dry eyes. The Visian ICL can now treat nearsightedness and astigmatism at the same time. If you have both astigmatism and nearsightedness, Visian Toric ICL may be a great option. It is preferable that the patient has not undergone any ophthalmic surgery and does not have a history of eye disease such as iritis, glaucoma, or diabetic retinopathy.
Who is NOT a candidate for Visian ICL?
At Eye Surgeons of Indiana, we always recommend you undergo a vision consultation to determine the best vision correction plan for you. If the Visian ICL is not right for you, other options are available. Vision ICL may not be the best course of action for:
• Patients whose eye prescription has changed significantly in the last six months
• Patients without enough posterior corneal cell density
• Patients with an anterior chamber depth of less than 3.00mm
• Patients who are pregnant or nursing
• Patients with uncontrolled dry eye or blepharitis
• Patients with corneal endothelial dystrophy
Is the Visian ICL FDA approved?
Yes. The Visian ICL received approval from the FDA for a wide range of myopic (nearsightedness) correction needs, with and without astigmatism.
Is the Visian ICL visible to others?
No. The Visian ICL is positioned behind the iris (the colored part of the eye), where it is invisible to both you and observers.
Will I be able to feel the Visian ICL once it is in place?
The Visian ICL is designed to be completely unobtrusive after it is put in place. It stays in position by itself and does not interact with any of the eye’s structures.
If I’m interested in the Visian ICL, what are my next steps?
Feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have, or to schedule an eye exam to discover if the Visian ICL or an alternative vision correction procedure is right for you.